October 28, 2010

|something that I covert|

As I might have mentioned, I was a serious dancer for 12 years of my very short life, towards the end, it became very intense, to a point where I would have been professional (by South African Standards) if I had been paid and was part of a company. Anyway, I had to make some choices and ended up giving it up in 2008. Over the past two years I really have missed it and regret the choice indefinitely.

However, what has this got to do with this post? We had to dabble in the art of printing methods but with two colours. I choose to go the route of Lino cutting. Our theme was: something that you covert. Hence, that's where the dancing comes in.

Here are some of the images from my process. (Please excuse the hideous picture quality, I am in between camera's right now)


This is a series of dancers. I found inspiration in images that were taken of a good friend that I used to dance with, Mila de Biaggi.


These are the final prints in the various colours and layouts that I experimented with.




The above blocks are the printing blocks. You have to carve away the surrounding negative space in order to be left with the image that you want to print.


The final product.



I enjoyed working with this medium. It was definitely something different for me and, in my personal opinion, I really like the way that they turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment